zondag 1 december 2013

Master your strenghts, outsource your weaknesses

One week ago, I participated a final duathlon in Wachtebeke. Just for fun, without specific training last weeks. I didn't run for almost two weeks and trained on my 29'er, with the focus on core stability training inside. The mountainbike track was quite muddy due to the massive rain. The running track was flooded with water. Not easy to run in the curves on the grass. Cautiously I took the first curve and tried to catch a good rhythm.

My first 5km (2 x 2,5km) run wasn't good and I started the 30km (3 x 10km) mountainbike in position 23. But I knew I would gain places during the second half of this duathlon. The track was heavy due to the mud. On certain hills, it was too slippery to ride. There we had to use our cyclocross talents and jump off the bike. I catched up a group with Nicolas Vermeulen (former belgian champion MTB marathon) on could hold on for the first two rounds. The last round, I had to leave a gap and struggled with the mud. I finished at place 11 (or 10, like the speaker told the crowd) before heading for the last 5km run.

The shoe-switch went well and I saw two competitors running. They started the last run about 2 minutes before me but I didn't weaken. This situation looked feasible and in the last round of 2,5km I could gain two positions. So I closed the duathlon at place 9....or 8? Who can tell? Probabely, I competitor has only run one lap, or there was a mistake by the broadcaster...Nevertheless I was satisfied with this position. http://www.wtt2000.be/www/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Klassement_Winterduatlon2013_reeks2_ind.pdf

Maybe I had to this about a duathlon career? With a specifiek focus on the running part, I would master this part more than ever? Pictures will follow as soon as they're available on the website: http://www.wtt2000.be/